United Daughters of the Confederacy

The United Daughters of the Confederacy was organized in Nashville, Tennessee on September 10, 1894. The National Headquarters are located in Richmond, Virginia.  The objectives of the organization are historical, educational, benevolent, memorial and patriotic.  Its members honor the memory of those who served and those who fell in the service of the Confederate States of America.

The Beaufort Chapter of the UDC was organized on September 5, 1910. It was named for General Stephen Elliott of Beaufort who was born in 1830
and died in 1866 after serving bravely during the War Between the States.

A marker was placed in the Stephen Elliott Park on Bay Street at the foot of Woods Memorial Bridge in 1966 by members of the local UDC Chapter honoring General Stephen Elliott.  It stands across the street from the home in which the chapter was organized.

The Stephen Elliott Chapter held its first Memorial Day service in May 1911. Early observances included programs and music at Beaufort High School or St. Helena's Episcopal Church after which services were held at the National Cemetery.